Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Guardians of the Galaxy review

I had heard the name, and the names of some of the characters, but I didn't actually know anything about the Guardians of the Galaxy when the movie was announced. But Marvel was on a roll, and while I wasn't instantly invested the way I am for a movie about characters I already love, I appreciated the willingness to take a risk on lesser-known characters, so I was interested in the movie and hoped it would be good.

I found the film to be very funny, and at times quite touching. It was also very stylish, weaving action and music together into creative spectacles. It had good character work, with a motley crew of rogues who might seem antagonistic at first, but who I liked and cared about by the end.

One thing that I personally really appreciated was, well, the originality of the worlds we were shown. We've had so many superhero movies featuring extraordinary characters in ordinary environments, that watching our protagonists travel across these wonderfully alien worlds was very cool. It was a different type of sci-fi, one I don't see much of these days, and I loved it.

The cast nailed it of course. I think this is the first movie that I enjoyed Chris Pratt in. This was also the first time I saw Bautista showing off his comedic chops. Zoe Saldana and Bradley Cooper were great, and Vin Diesel's performance was surprisingly impactful for how little dialogue he had. Of course there were a lot of other seasoned actors putting in great performances in smaller roles, but I want to specifically call out Peter Serafinowicz as leaving a lasting impression on me.

I give it a solid 8/10. It's a great sci-fi adventure movie that delivers both laughs and feels, and there's nothing wrong with the action either.


This was the film that first brought James Gunn to my attention, he's earned himself a lot of faith in recent years. I also recently discovered that Dan Abnett is one of the credited writers, which is interesting to me because I quite enjoyed some of his novels and comics in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment