Monday, May 2, 2016

Paul Impressions


I'm a big fan of the Pegg and Frost, and I had just started working in a company that had done some of the vfx for this movie when it came out (to be clear it was done by the time I joined; I didn't work on it myself), so I eagerly went to watch it in the cinema. I thought it was very funny, but it seemed to have a strong anti-religion sentiment which left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

Well, I was just thinking about this movie, and I realised something. Perhaps this is already common knowledge and I completely missed it until now, but it only just clicked for me: the story itself mirrors the story of Jesus.

Paul entered this world differently to the rest of us. He brought knowledge to the human race. He has a small band of followers whom he teaches about the larger universe. He performs many miracles, including raising the dead. He is being hunted by the oppressive authorities. He sacrifices himself for the sake of his "flock", only to rise again a short while later. Finally he ascends to the heavens, never to be seen again, leaving his disciples to write down his story and distribute it to the masses.

While none of these story elements alone mean very much, I just find it funny that the story as a whole has so many parallels with the story of Jesus even though the film itself is so dismissive of religion. I wonder if the writers realise it themselves? Perhaps it was deliberate act of "meta-humour"? I mean, Paul himself is even wearing sandals!

No comments:

Post a Comment